Drivers for copiers and printers that do not work well with the generic drivers (ex. color printers and Canon copiers) will be automatically pushed down to the faculty MacBooks as soon as they are available. Select printers or copiers will be automatically pushed as well; others will need to be manually added, or may be available as an easy install item from Self Service, the app on each computer from our Casper management software.
I. Automatically Added By Management Software
This requires no action on your part; the printer will automatically appear in your list of printers, which you can view from Apple menu > System Preferences > Printers and Scanners.
II. Available in Self Service
We are working on putting all printers into Self Service for easy access. If you are told that your printers are available in Self Service, you can download them by doing the following:
1) On your Macbook, select Launchpad to open your list of applications.
2) Click on Self Service
3) On the right hand side, click Categories > Printers. The list of published printers appears.
4) Click on "Install" underneath the printer that you want to connect to.
III. Manually Connect to Printer
1) If you do not have the drivers for your printer installed, and if they are required for your printer (a color printer or a Canon copier), then follow the steps above in [ II ] to connect to Self Service and open the Printers menu.
a) Select the driver package for the device you would like to connect to. The driver packages have the blue "featured" ribbon on them. Click Install to download and install the drivers.
b) If you are unsure which package you need, look at the manufacturer and model of the printer/copier you want to connect to.
c) If you are still unsure, please send a ticket or visit the IT Department
2) Go to Apple Menu > System Preferences > Printers and Scanners.
3) Click the [ + ] button at the bottom of the printer list. Click "Add Printer or Scanner..."
4) Click the Advanced button at the top of the screen.
5) Fill out the following fields:
- Type: Windows printer via spoolss
- URL: smb://printsrv.mtsd.edu/YOURPRINTERNAME
where "YOURPRINTERNAME" is the network name of the printer/copier. This should be listed on a label on the device itself.
- Name: the name you want the printer to appear as when you select it from the list of available printers.
- Location: you can leave this blank, or type in the location of the printer
- Use/Driver: From this drop-down, you can select "Generic PCL Driver" if this is compatible with the generic driver. If this needs the specific driver, click "Select Driver" and choose the matching model from the list. If you do not have a driver that matches the device, use the Generic driver or visit IT.
6) Click Add