Most of the time, your assigned device is your primary tool for completing your school work. However, when that tool isn't working correctly, it can be a real frustration. We want to get your computer or iPad working quickly again, so that you don't lose any time on your assignments. Please review the following information about what happens when you come down to the HelpDesk.
II. Annual Device Check-In / Check-Out (picking up your iPad or netbook at the beginning of the year and returning it at the end)
We use a lot of different educational tools here, which means there are a lot of logins to keep track of. Some systems very easily allow us to let others reset passwords, and other systems are more difficult so fewer people are able to help you with that. The following is a list of systems and who can give you a hand in a pinch.
|Computer Login||IT, Library|
|Google / MyMTSD||IT, Library, MMS Math Teachers,
MHS teachers: Mr. Furlong, Mr. Heller, Mr. Lavoie, Mr. Wyndorf
|Schoology||Open Safari and go to http://mhs.schoology.com. Click "Forgot Password."
IT can also reset your password.
|PowerSchool||IT, Guidance, Main Office, Your MHS teacher|
|Mathia and Cognitive Tutor||IT, Your math teacher|
The following is what happens when a device comes to us for check-in/check-out:
* The IT offices are located in the Library at the Elementary-Middle School
* The High School's IT offices are downstairs, next to the stairs, across from the Athletics office. We have two offices here.
2. Office Hours
Office Hours are times when we are guaranteed to be available in the office, unless an emergency or illness requires us to close.
* The Elementary-Middle office hours are 7:30-8:30am and 1:30-2:30 pm.
* The High School office hours are 7:30-10am and 1:30-3:00 pm.
* All IT Offices are closed on Wednesday afternoon for our weekly IT meeting.
3. Be Ready
* Create a ticket ahead of time if possible.
* Back up your data if you can. Save important docs to Google Drive (all), your H-Drive (netbooks), or iCloud (iPads).
* Make sure that your device is charged up. We can't work on a device until it turns on.
* If you have a problem with your device charging, bring your charger with you so we can check it out.
* Ensure you have turned in all of your permission forms. Extra copies are available in the main office.
4. Service Times
Each situation is unique, so keep in mind that the times listed below are approximate. There are a lot of things that can affect our ability to turn things around in a timely manner. These include:
* time of year (the start of school is always crazy, as are end of each marking period, before exams, and during SBAC and other big tests)
* whether you're ready (see the list above)
* if we're currently working on an urgent situation
* some situations require us to get administrator approval to return or replace items
* sometimes we run out of replacement items when there's a big rush. We try to anticipate these and stay ahead, but sometimes it just can't be predicted.
Approximate service times:
These times are how long it takes us to do these items. Sometimes we can help you right away, and other times when there is a long line or we are busy with other tasks, we will take the device, work on it, and you will need to come back later to pick it up. Sadly at the start of the year, this can sometimes be a couple of days because of how many folks are checking out devices, needing new ones, or getting replacement pieces. Please come ready for help (see list #3 above) to minimize this time for everyone.
* Update a setting (such as remove VPN app): 15 minutes
* Helping to set up an iPad (such as iTunes account, setup menus, etc.): 30 minutes
* Wiping & updating an iPad (1 hour)
* Prepare a replacement iPad (2 hours)
* Imaging a laptop/netbook (2 hours)